Note: Menu-> on this page refers to the button in the TrkdCam mobile app.
Will TrkdCam run on my device?
The Compatibility page gives details of the devices currently supported by TrkdCam.
Which security permissions are required for TrkdCam and why?
The following permissions are required:
- Camera to shoot video
- Microphone to record audio
- Location to calculate position
- Read/Write SD Card to create video & WebVMT files
Please check our Devices support section for details of how to check and manage permissions on your particular phone.
How do I change the settings?
Press the settings button on the main screen to enter the settings menus, referred to as Settings->... in this guide.
Note: Settings are not accessible during video recording. Stop recording to allow access.
Which languages are supported?
Support is provided for the following languages:
- Français (French)
- Deutsch (German)
How do I change language?
Select Settings->Language and choose a language from the list. The setting for TrkdCam can be chosen independently of the phone's language setting.
How do I reset my settings to their default values?
Select Settings->Reset and press Ok to restore the default values, or Cancel to retain the current values.
How do I see the main menu?
Press the menu button on the main screen to enter the main menu, referred to as Menu->... in this guide.
Note: Main menu is not accessible during video recording. Stop recording to allow access.
Are shortcuts provided to change Android device settings?
TrkdCam includes several Device settings shortcuts within its menus.
- Settings->Device settings->Location
- Settings->Device settings->Permissions
Most Android devices also include shortcut buttons in the shade, accessed by swiping down the screen from the top.
Which version of TrkdCam is installed?
The version number is displayed on the splash screen when the app starts up.
Alternatively, select Menu->About to see this information.
What is the file format?
Two separate files are created for each recording.
- Video is recorded in MPEG-4 format.
- WebVMT is a text-based open format for synchronising location with video for the web, and can be displayed by Away Team's Trkd Video service.
What are my files called?
File names are generated using the start time of the track recorded, and their suffix indicates the file format. Files are named VID_yyyymmdd_hhmmss, where yyyymmdd is the date and hhmmss is the time, with the suffixes:
- mp4 for MPEG-4 video.
- vmt for WebVMT.
Where are my files created?
Video and WebVMT files are stored in a directory called TrkdCam which is in your default Movies directory on your device.
How do I transfer my files from my phone?
Once you have identified where the files are on your phone, you can transfer them to a computer in several ways, depending on which features your phone and computer support. These include:
- USB: Connect a suitable USB lead and use the computer to browse your phone as a removable data storage device or Media device (MTP).
- Bluetooth: Connect to a paired device and send your files from the phone, e.g. via its file manager. Alternatively, browse your files from the computer if your phone supports the Bluetooth FTP profile.
- Wifi: Run a Wifi file transfer app which acts as a local web server. Files can be downloaded with any web browser on the same Wifi network.
- Cloud storage: Copy your files to a cloud storage area, e.g. using Google Drive or Apple iCloud. Please consider the security and privacy implications of this method before using it - see the Privacy section below.
- Memory card: Copy your files to the memory card if necessary, safely remove the card and plug this into the computer's card reader which may also require a memory card adaptor.
Always remember to unmount/eject a storage device properly before unplugging it.
Note: Some Android devices may hide files from Bluetooth file browsers. Please check your device manual for details.
Is WebVMT compatible with my favourite app/website?
WebVMT is designed for maximum compatibility with geotagged video systems on the web.
Download our WebVMT sample, unzip and import it to your favourite app or website to confirm this for yourself.
Why is GPS slow to find my location?
A GPS device needs to receive signals from several satellites before it can calculate its own location. This can take longer if its view of the sky is restricted by nearby tall objects, such as buildings or trees.
If your device supports Assisted GPS (A-GPS), the process can be made significantly faster by downloading assistance data (typically 5kb). This can be done using Wifi, where available, or your phone's network, if you have a signal and your tariff supports data.
How can I speed up finding my GPS location?
You can help make this process faster by understanding the factors may slow it down, and attempting to reduce their effect - see previous question.
How can I make my battery last longer?
Each GPS location calculation will drain more of your battery and increasing the interval between locations will extend its life, though there is a trade-off between time resolution and power consumption.
Select Settings->Interval to choose this interval.
Will I be charged for using GPS?
There is no charge to receive GPS signals. However, some devices support Assisted GPS (A-GPS) and may make a short chargeable call to download assistance data when their GPS is activated, to speed up the process of calculating your location. Using mobile data may incur charges.
Please check your tariff for further details.
Do I need assistance data to use GPS?
Assistance data are not required, but will help to reduce the time taken to calculate your initial location - see previous question.
How do I configure GPS on my phone?
A quick guide is provided in the Devices support section.
Please read your device's manual for further details.
How is my information used?
TrkdCam can only store information in the user file created on the device running the app, i.e. on your phone.
Are my TrkdCam files secure?
TrkdCam cannot send files elsewhere, giving you complete control of where that information is stored.
As with all personal data recorded on your device, e.g. photos, we recommend the following simple precautions.
- Protect your device with a password or PIN code, if this feature is supported.
- Keep a separate backup, so you do not lose your files if you lose your device.
- Manage files on your device regularly, e.g. by removing them when you backup, to protect your private information if your device is lost or stolen.
What information do TrkdCam files contain?
Each WebVMT file holds details of where you were and when, and always contains:
- Time & date
The file also includes a reference to the linked video file, so these data can be associated with video frame images - see following question.
Can I share my tracks?
Once you have created a TrkdCam file, you have control of and responsibility for how you share your information. We strongly recommend that you consider what you are about to share, and understand what that may reveal to others.
Please give careful thought to whether your information could be used against you or others.
- Does it show an address, yours or a friend's, which you want to keep private?
- Does it show a regular route, so others know where you are likely to be in future?
- Does it show you went somewhere at a particular time that you prefer to keep private?
- Does it show someone's face which could place them at a given time, e.g. using facial recognition?
As with all details you share on social networks, please think before you post. Have fun, but stay safe.
Please read the Quick Guide for a simple introduction.